Welcome back everyone.
It has been a tough couple of weeks for the Vancouver Whitecaps, who now find themselves further and further away from the Western Conference playoff picture. Thankfully though, there is still something to be decided in these final five matches: the Guess the Starting XI Contest!
Even though the blue and white are unlikely to make it to the postseason, there is still a lot to watch out for over the home stretch. If Vanni Sartini is staying around for another season (which if you ask me, I think he is) then he may very well drop some hints about which players he views as part of the long-term future of the club (and which he does not) in the final five. Personally, I am curious about the striker position, where a couple of CPL grads may have the chance to show what they can do at the MLS level.
In terms of this matchup with Colorado, the Whitecaps only played the Rapids a couple of weeks ago, winning 2-1 at BC Place thanks to a brace from Ryan Gauld.
Since then, the Whitecaps are winless in three, while the Rapids are winless in their last four given their extra midweek fixture. For Colorado in particular, they’ve suffered two blowout losses since they last faced the Caps: 6-0 in Philadelphia and 4-1 in Nashville. The teams sit 10th and 11th respectively in the West.
In terms of the line-up for Vancouver, Lucas Cavallini is still out with suspension, while Ryan Gauld will also have to sit this one out due to yellow card accumulation. Seb Berhalter picked up a knee injury at traning during the week and was seen on crutches although there has been no official update.
Ok, on to rules and standings:
- Predictions will be ‘valid’ if posted HERE (or more accurately, whichever is the correct match thread) before the lineup is officially announced, usually about an hour before kickoff.
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. You receive 4 bonus points for correctly predicting all 11 starters.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw, this doubles to 10 if you also predict the right score-line along with the result.
- All this means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 25 points!
- At the end of each half, the contestant’s lowest two scores of that period will be deducted from the cumulative standings.