Welcome back everyone.
The Vancouver Whitecaps seem to be enjoying life so far under acting head coach Vanni Sartini, and will be looking to keep the good times rolling this weekend as they face-off against Western Conference bottom dwellers Austin FC.
Vancouver got the better of the MLS newcomers by a score of 2-1 in Austin on August 18th, so the Texas side will assuredly be looking to return the favour as they come to BC Place this Saturday.
One concern for the Whitecaps this weekend will be depth, especially on the back line. There are currently three international absences, as Javain Brown, Lucas Cavallini and Maxime Crepeau are away with their respective national teams. Meanwhile, the Whitecaps’ defenders have been hit hard by the injury bug. Andy Rose and Ranko Veselinovic are both doubtful to start on Saturday, and Jake Nerwinski and Cristian Gutierrez are also still in the midst of their recoveries.
All of this means that the Whitecaps will be down to a heavily rotated back four, especially at the fullback spot. On paper, a centreback pairing of Jungwirth and Godoy actually looks quite promising, but fullback could be a question, especially as Bruno Gaspar has struggled to stay on the pitch this year, and Marcus Godinho has just been integrated into the squad.
Oh, and shoutout to elcapitano2 for being dead on with his 4-1 scoreline prediction!
With all that said, best of luck, and here are the rules and standings as always:
- Predictions will be ‘valid’ if posted HERE (or more accurately, the correct match thread) prior to the lineup being officially announced, usually about an hour before kickoff.
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. You receive 4 bonus points for correctly predicting all 11 starters.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw, this doubles to 10 if you also predict the right score-line along with the result.
- That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 25 points!
- At the end of each quarter, the contestants lowest score of that period will be deducted from the cumulative standings.