As is routine for every match, we have our regular Guess the Starting XI and Final Score contest. Let’s see how good you are at getting into the manager’s head and predicting how the game will turn out. In addition, we will have monthly, fun, bonus prediction categories, such as yellow cards, substitutions, goal scorers, etc.
How Scoring is Determined
- Predictions will be ‘valid’ if posted HERE half-an-hour prior to the lineup being officially announced, which means 1.5 hours before kickoff.
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
- That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
- After each match, I will tally the scores and update the standings, which will be posted with the following match’s prediction article. I will typically post three sets of standings. First, the results from the previous match. Second, the monthly standings. Third, the first/second half standings (with your worst two match predictions removed).
Match #7 (Montreal Impact) Standings
Canada Leg Standings
Match Review and Preview (Montreal Impact)
There was a little too much optimism for the last one. Perhaps finally getting a win made us so desperate for a second we went with rose-colored glasses. Maybe it was being home against a not-so-great team. Problem is, they are still better than Vancouver Whitecaps :(.
Four people predicted the Montreal win, while the majority of us predicted a similar lineup to last match. Turns out, it was the exact same. Many had the front six determined but it was that RB and CB position that threw some for a loop. Not Island Life though, who was the only one to go 11/11.
We only have one match left in the Canadian Championship/Leg of this season, which means one more time with the bonus category of first goal interval. It also means a tight finish for the top. GreyHouseEffect has a two-point lead over Isabelt. Considering that GreyHouseEffect always predicts first it will be up to Isabelt to make the necessary different prediction that can overcome that two-point deficit. Of course, don’t count Westsider13 out either. Back 8, but a correct prediction against the other two and they could jump into the win.
In this miserable season, it looks like Tecate has taken it upon themselves to start a separate bonus contest (you will have to score your own :P). Seems to have caught on with several people making their predictions. A couple of other shout outs (I miss this part). Congrats to ElCapitano2 who correctly predicted the 4-2 scoreline....just the wrong way. Also, thanks to AmandaC who noted that at least SOMEONE reads what I read here. Anyone else?
Moving on to the match, the Whitecaps will be without their high-priced DP who got themselves a one-game (at least) suspension. I am not sure whether him being in the match or not really matters these days. Do we see Montero or Reyna start as a result? Both are in the doghouse, although Montero actually saw the field last match. Shocking, I know! Rose probably continues to start but what about Ranko? Godoy has looked slow at RB and probably not the best place for a natural CB to work himself back into game shape. Is Nerwinski really that much worse these days?
MDS has been making some peculiar choices of late, with certain people staying glued to the bench, but it isn’t like you can blame him. While on-paper some of these guys are the best players on the squad they certainly have not been playing like it. So, does Godoy start again? Will we see Montero/Reyna? What about Rose? Montreal can win the Canadian Championship (MLS side at least) so you know they will be up for it. Whitecaps have pride to play for....but they have had that for a while and it hasn’t seem to motivate them. I guess we will see Wednesday night!