Welcome to another season of our Vancouver Whitecaps contest “Guess the Starting XI and Final Score”. As is tradition, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. It has grown into a great contest and I am appreciative of him for the original idea. Like last season, we will break the contest up into the three ‘seasons’: first half, second half, and non-MLS. We will continue to have fun monthly ‘bonus’ prediction categories, with some being based on whatever it topical at the time. Last season we had things like “Robbo post-match quotes”, “yellow cards”, “first goal scorer”, and several others. However, to start the season, we will keep March simple. With that out of the way, let’s remind you all how the scoring is done.
Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day.
- We will keep track of first half, second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for.
- I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
- As the MLS season is 34 matches, each half of the season will be based on 17 matches, with your worst two match predictions being dropped. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- Predictions will be ‘valid’ if posted HERE half-an-hour prior to the lineup being officially announced (1 hour before kickoff).
How Scoring is Determined
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
- That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
After each match, I will tally the scores and update the standings, which will be posted with the following match’s prediction article. I will post three sets of standings. First, the results from the previous match. Second, the monthly standings. Third, the first/second half standings (with your worst two match predictions removed).
Previous Match Standings
Recap and Preview
We are now two matches into the second half of the Vancouver Whitecaps 2019 Major League Soccer season. Earlier this week, I recapped the first half. Congrats to Island Life for their victory (grr! So close!). For all the standings and statistics check out the article I wrote on the first half. Anything stand out to you in the numbers?
For the second week in a row only two people (Westsider13 and CascadiaCrunchFC) predicted the correct outcome of the game -a loss to Seattle. This led to the two of them being top point earners this match, with 15 a piece. There was a logjam for third, at twelve points, between seven people.
While the low squad rotation helped result in many high lineup scores (everyone predicted at least 9 of the starters, with most people correctly predicting 10), it also likely contributed to the tired legs that faded in the final eight stoppage minutes to allow the Sounders goal. The bittersweet result of Canada falling out of the Gold Cup means that some much needed depth will return to the squad in time for Saturday’s match with LAFC.
Another question heading into Saturday’s match will be whether Ali Adnan is a part of the squad or not. It is uncertain at the moment, but considering that we have not heard an outright ‘no’ on him returning, that is reason to be optimistic that something can be worked out. Whether that is in time for Saturday...well...
With a new month also comes a new ‘bonus’ contest. This month we are going to go with 15-minute interval for first Whitecaps goal. Here are the categories. 0-15, 16-30, 31-45, 45-60, 61-75, 76-90. Goals in injury/stoppage time go to the ‘previous’ interval category. Therefore, a Caps goal in the 45th +2 is considered in the 31-45 interval. This contest only applies to Whitecaps goals, not their opponent. IF you think the Caps will be shut-out, then you need to say no goal, shut-out, etc. If you predict Caps lose 2-0 and DON’T put an interval then you won’t get points. Get it correct and you earn the bonus three points. These points apply ONLY to the monthly contest and not the overall standings. Hopefully that is clear. If not, post a question below and I will try to answer it.
As always, get all the match information from our Know the Enemy and Match Preview articles.