Welcome to another season of our Vancouver Whitecaps contest “Guess the Starting XI and Final Score”. As is tradition, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. It has grown into a great contest and I am appreciative of him for the original idea. Like last season, we will break the contest up into the three ‘seasons’: first half, second half, and non-MLS. We will continue to have fun monthly ‘bonus’ prediction categories, with some being based on whatever it topical at the time. Last season we had things like “Robbo post-match quotes”, “yellow cards”, “first goal scorer”, and several others. However, to start the season, we will keep March simple. With that out of the way, let’s remind you all how the scoring is done.
Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day.
- We will keep track of first half, second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for.
- I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
- As the MLS season is 34 matches, each half of the season will be based on 17 matches, with your worst two match predictions being dropped. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- Predictions will be ‘valid’ if posted HERE half-an-hour prior to the lineup being officially announced (1 hour before kickoff).
How Scoring is Determined
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
- That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
After each match, I will tally the scores and update the standings, which will be posted with the following match’s prediction article. I will post three sets of standings. First, the results from the previous match. Second, the monthly standings. Third, the first/second half standings (with your worst two match predictions removed).
Match #22 (SKC)
Match Review and Preview (Courtesy Tres_Tristes_Tigres)
After everyone thought that they had some of the lineup stuff figured out, MDS goes and throws us a curveball making several changes. This was reflected in the poor accuracy of predictions, with an average lineup score of 6.6. However, the outcome of the match is becoming easier to foresee...at least for some of us (AtlantisB still too optimistic!). Over two thirds predicted the loss this week, and over a third predicted no ‘Caps goal. The only match outcome points that seemed to elude us was the number of Revs goals. I guess we just aren’t being imaginative enough when it comes to this team’s ability to get blown out. Maybe we see some 4-0 and 5-0 predictions this weekend?
CascadiaCrunchFC and ZTJ9901 took top billing this match, each with ‘only’ seven lineup predictions correct but both getting points for winner, score, and goal interval. In fact, it was that ‘score’ category that won them the title of tops for this match as GreyHouseEffect and Colombian_Southsider77 had the same lineup, winner, and goal interval predictions but finished one point behind our leaders due to that ‘score’ category.
I (AtlantisB) have been without a computer for a little while, so I have been doing this mostly from my phone. As a result, I have not been putting together my Second Half Standings table. I hope to update that in the next week or so...as we have enough matches now. In addition, after the San Jose Earthquakes match I will update the June standings.
Heading into this weekend, the Caps are in their worst funk since their expansion season. There are reasons to be miserable but reasons to be hopeful. I am not sure what those hopeful reasons are, but I am sure they are there. They are playing at home, but have not fared too well of late anywhere. San Jose is not a great team, but seem to be on a roll of late. It is anyone’s guess what the lineup will be like. Does Montero finally get another start? Does Ardaiz finally get ANY start? What about Venuto or the recently returned Bangoura? Are we seeing a rotation of the central defenders? Is it Henry and Cornelius Saturday, with Godoy sitting? Does Rose slot in again at center back? There are a lot of questions with this team. GOOD LUCK!
As always, make sure to check out our Know the Enemy and Pre-Match articles for more information before this match.