Welcome to another season of our Vancouver Whitecaps contest “Guess the Starting XI and Final Score”. As is tradition, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. It has grown into a great contest and I am appreciative of him for the original idea. Like last season, we will break the contest up into the three ‘seasons’: first half, second half, and non-MLS. We will continue to have fun monthly ‘bonus’ prediction categories, with some being based on whatever it topical at the time. Last season we had things like “Robbo post-match quotes”, “yellow cards”, “first goal scorer”, and several others. However, to start the season, we will keep March simple. With that out of the way, let’s remind you all how the scoring is done.
P.S. I would love if someone would create a great little graphic that we could use for these articles!
Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day.
- We will keep track of first half, second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for.
- I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
- As the MLS season is 34 matches, each half of the season will be based on 17 matches, with your worst two match predictions being dropped. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- Predictions will be ‘valid’ if posted HERE half-an-hour prior to the lineup being officially announced (1 hour before kickoff).
How Scoring is Determined
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
- That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
After each match, I will tally the scores and update the standings, which will be posted with the following match’s prediction article. I will post three sets of standings. First, the results from the previous match. Second, the monthly standings. Third, the first/second half standings (with your worst two match predictions removed).
To honor those of past seasons, here is a list of previous winners.
- First Half Winner: Arjon (176 Points)
- Second Half Winner: AtlantisB (208 Points)
- Non-MLS Winner: Arjon (88 Points)
- First Half Winner: Arjon (221 Points)
- Second Half Winner: dfree646 (194 Points)
- Non-MLS Winner: AtlantisB (80 Points)
- Monthly Winners
- April: Arjon (87 Points)
- May: jacinto (99 Points)
- June: AtlantisB (69 Points)
- August: chuckbiscuits (71 Points)
- September: dfree646 (93 Points)
- First Half Winner: dfree646 (199 Points)
- Second Half Winner: The Squirrel (206 Points)
- Non-MLS Winner: rtomsheck (57 Points)
- Monthly Winners
- March: dfree646 (70 Points)
- April: GreyHouseEffect (46 Points)
- May: dfree646 (58 Points)
- July: Arjon (93 Points)
- August: AtlantisB & CascadiaCrunchFC (81 Points)
- September/October: GreyHouseEffect (123 Points)
Match in Review (None) and Preview (Minnesota United FC)
This will be the first match under Marc Dos Santos. It comes against a team that also did not have a good 2018. Both clubs will be looking to get off to a good start and set fan minds at ease...at least for one week. We will have more of a preview in our ‘Know the Enemy’ piece, to be posted shortly.
Winger Wednesday: Insights from the Training Grounds
Know the Enemy: Strategy and Thoughts from E Pluribus Loonus
Match Preview: Information on Saturday’s match Against Minnesota United FC
Known Out (Updated as information becomes known)
Injury: Russell Teibert (out), Jasser Khmiri (out), Brett Levis (doubtful)