Welcome to another season of our Vancouver Whitecaps contest “Guess the Starting XI and Final Score”. As is tradition, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. It has grown into a great contest and I am appreciative of him for the original idea. Like last season, we will break the contest up into the three ‘seasons’: first half, second half, and non-MLS. We will continue to have fun monthly ‘bonus’ prediction categories, with some being based on whatever it topical at the time. Last season we had things like “Robbo post-match quotes”, “yellow cards”, “first goal scorer”, and several others. However, to start the season, we will keep March simple. With that out of the way, let’s remind you all how the scoring is done.
- Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day.
- We will keep track of first half, second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for.
- I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
- As the MLS season is 34 matches, each half of the season will be based on 17 matches, with your worst two match predictions being dropped. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- Predictions will be ‘valid’ if posted HERE 1.5 hours prior to kickoff (or half an hour prior to the lineup being officially announced).
How Scoring is Determined
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
After each match, I will tally the scores and update the standings, which will be posted with the following match’s prediction article. I will post three sets of standings. First, the results from the previous match. Second, the monthly standings. Third, the first/second half standings (with your worst two match predictions removed).
NO UPDATE TABLES AS I AM CURRENTLY AWAY
Match Preview (Montreal Impact)
This is a special contest, which will be separate from our regular MLS contest. This contest will consist of the four (hopefully) Voyageurs Cup matches only. This is a great opportunity for anyone who would like to participate but doesn’t want to commit to the entire season.
While this contest is separate from the MLS contest, we will still count this match for the July standings. As a result, the “bonus” contest will be in effect. This month, we are going with when the Whitecaps will score their first goal of the match. If you correctly predict the 15-minute interval, you will receive a bonus three (3) points for your July (not Second Half) point total. The options are 0-15, 16-30, 31-45+, 46-60, 61-75, 76-90+.
The Vancouver Whitecaps had an emotional game over the weekend against their rival Seattle Sounders. Now, they have to get right back up again and beat out Montreal in a mid-week tilt that will determine if they head to the final of the Voyageurs Cup against, probably, Toronto FC, or if they bow-out once again to Montreal.
With last season’s exit at the hands of Montreal, they Whitecaps will want to return the favor. They are in a good place to do it too, after a solid away leg last Wednesday. We should see some heavy rotation again, from the lineup we saw on the weekend against Seattle, but expect a mix of young and veteran players as the Whitecaps want to win this one.
Good luck with your predictions.