Welcome to another season of our Vancouver Whitecaps contest “Guess the Starting XI and Final Score”. As is tradition, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. It has grown into a great contest and I am appreciative of him for the original idea. Like last season, we will break the contest up into the three ‘seasons’: first half, second half, and non-MLS. We will continue to have fun monthly ‘bonus’ prediction categories, with some being based on whatever it topical at the time. Last season we had things like “Robbo post-match quotes”, “yellow cards”, “first goal scorer”, and several others. However, to start the season, we will keep March simple. With that out of the way, let’s remind you all how the scoring is done.
- Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day.
- We will keep track of first half, second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for.
- I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
- As the MLS season is 34 matches, each half of the season will be based on 17 matches, with your worst two match predictions being dropped. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- Predictions will be ‘valid’ if posted HERE 1.5 hours prior to kickoff (or half an hour prior to the lineup being officially announced).
How Scoring is Determined
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
After each match, I will tally the scores and update the standings, which will be posted with the following match’s prediction article. I will post three sets of standings. First, the results from the previous match. Second, the monthly standings. Third, the first/second half standings (with your worst two match predictions removed).
NO UPDATE TABLES AS I AM CURRENTLY AWAY
Match Preview (Montreal Impact)
This is a special contest, which will be separate from our regular MLS contest. This contest will consist of the four (hopefully) Voyageurs Cup matches only. This is a great opportunity for anyone who would like to participate but doesn’t want to commit to the entire season.
While this contest is separate from the MLS contest, we will still count this match for the July standings. As a result, the “bonus” contest will be in effect. This month, we are going with when the Whitecaps will score their first goal of the match. If you correctly predict the 15-minute interval, you will receive a bonus three (3) points for your July (not Second Half) point total. The options are 0-15, 16-30, 31-45+, 46-60, 61-75, 76-90+.
Coming off a weekend match against DC United, the Vancouver Whitecaps probably stayed out East for the last few days. As has been common from Carl Robinson in the Voyageurs Cup, and with it being a semi-final match, I expect a squad that is heavily Canadian and young. Therefore, we might see David Norman Jr. get a start. Sean Melvin could also start in net. Russell Teibert is almost a lock, as is Brett Levis. Alphonso Davies might sit, simply because Robbo wants to save him for the weekend, but you never know.
Montreal has been fairly poor this season, but they will want to come out strong in the first leg of the Cup, seeing as it is at home. When a club is playing poorly in league play, a Cup title can be a great consolation prize for fans. Expect a strong outing from the Impact players.
Good luck with your predictions.