Welcome to another season of our Vancouver Whitecaps contest “Guess the Starting XI and Final Score”. As is tradition, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. It has grown into a great contest and I am appreciative of him for the original idea. Like last season, we will break the contest up into the three ‘seasons’: first half, second half, and non-MLS. We will continue to have fun monthly ‘bonus’ prediction categories, with some being based on whatever it topical at the time. Last season we had things like “Robbo post-match quotes”, “yellow cards”, “first goal scorer”, and several others. However, to start the season, we will keep March simple. With that out of the way, let’s remind you all how the scoring is done.
- Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day.
- We will keep track of first half, second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for.
- I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
- As the MLS season is 34 matches, each half of the season will be based on 17 matches, with your worst two match predictions being dropped. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- Predictions will be ‘valid’ if posted HERE 1.5 hours prior to kickoff (or half an hour prior to the lineup being officially announced).
How Scoring is Determined
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
After each match, I will tally the scores and update the standings, which will be posted with the following match’s prediction article. I will post three sets of standings. First, the results from the previous match. Second, the monthly standings. Third, the first/second half standings (with your worst two match predictions removed).
NO UPDATE TABLES AS I AM CURRENTLY AWAY
Match Preview (Colorado Rapids)
Welcome to the second half of the Vancouver Whitecaps 2018 Major League Soccer season. Unfortunately, I am starting this second half off out of the country and thus not able to bring you the final standings for the First Half. I will return in a few weeks though with the numbers!
With the Second Half beginning, that means we are starting everyone’s overall score back at “0”. Clean slate everyone. If you have not participated this season, or have missed a few weeks, now is the opportunity to get to the top!
With the month of July also comes a new “bonus” contest. This month, we are going with when the Whitecaps will score their first goal of the match. If you correctly predict the 15-minute interval, you will receive a bonus three (3) points for your July (not Second Half) point total. The options are 0-15, 16-30, 31-45+, 46-60, 61-75, 76-90+.
This is being written in advance, so not sure how accurate this will be once game day arrives. The Whitecaps will face Colorado for the second time in a month. This time, at home. Colorado has been DREADFUL on the road, which sets up nicely for the Whitecaps.
Returning from Philadelphia, we could see some rotation, but I suspect that rotation occurred in Philadelphia. With the week break, the players should be healthy. Stefan Marinovic is probably returning now, or some time soon, as will Jordon Mutch. Could they see some time? Kendall Waston will not have returned from World Cup duty yet, so the Caps will have to play with a combination of Aja/Maund/Henry. Each have their limitations, but have performed adequately this season.
This, and the next few previews will be a bit short, as I am making this up a month in advance! Good luck!!