Welcome back for another season of our contest "Guess the Starting XI and Final Score". As always, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. Like last season, we will keep the non-MLS and MLS standings separate. We will also do a first half, second half, and overall standings. Finally, I will have various monthly contests where we add in an ‘extra’ thing to predict, like goal scorers, cards, suspensions, etc. With the basics out of the way, let’s get to the scoring.
MLS Scoring Details
- Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day
- We will keep track of overall, first/second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for
- I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
- As the MLS season is 34 matches, the overall standings will be based on each participant’s top 30 match guesses. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- Predictions will be 'valid' if posted prior to the lineup being officially announced (1 hour before kickoff)
How Scoring is Determined
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
- That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
At the end of each week, I will tally the scores and update the standings, to be posted with the next week's match thread.
Bonus June Post-Match Scoring
I am posting TWO different sets of standings. The first is the monthly standings (with previous match results). The second is the first half standings (with worst two match predictions removed).
|Previous Rank||Current Ranking||Change in||User||Overall||Match 15 (Minnesota United)|
FIRST HALF STANDINGS (MATCHES 1 TO 17)
|Previous Rank||Current Ranking||Change in||User||Overall|
Match in Review (Minnesota United) and Preview (Chicago Fire)
Congrats goes out to Olikchivas as they were the only one to predict a draw in the match. It moved them up a spot (to 4th) in the June standings and two spots to 5th in the First Half standings. Speaking of first half, we have only two matches left to decide the winner. Arjon has a four point lead over Jph003, with rtomsheck two points behind Jph003. It should be close. Can Arjon defend their First Half title from last season?
The Vancouver Whitecaps travel to Chicago to face the Fire on Saturday. While the match will technically be in July, I am going to include it in the June standings and then have no contest for July, given the Gold Cup. I have added a few new quotes, thanks to justcaps and MarcusEarth. Back to the Fire match, the Caps will be heading to a place where no one but the Fire have won this year. In fact, only one team (Montreal) has come away with even a draw in Chicago, and that was way back in Week 4. The good news is that Chicago suffered a heart-breaking loss in a shootout to Cincinnati on Wednesday in the US Open Cup. In that 120 minutes plus match, many of their starters went the distance. With Gold Cup coming, Chicago will be without some of their key players as well. If there was a time that a team could leave Chicago with points this season, it seems now might be that time.
Like Chicago, the Caps will be without some of their players too. Alphonso Davies, Russell Teibert, and Marcel de Jong will all be away for Canada, so there will be slim pickings for the Caps. This will be a tough match to call. Good luck.
KNOWN OUT (Will be updated as information becomes available)
Injury: Brett Levis, David Edgar, Yordy Reyna, Erik Hurtado, Christian Dean, Nico Mezquida, Christian Bolanos, Kendall Waston
Suspension: Sheanon Williams
International Duty: Alphonso Davies, Russell Teibert, Marcel de Jong, Sam Adekugbe