Welcome back for another season of our contest "Guess the Starting XI and Final Score". As always, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. Like last season, we will keep the non-MLS and MLS standings separate. We will also do a first half, second half, and overall standings. Finally, I will have various monthly contests where we add in an ‘extra’ thing to predict, like goal scorers, cards, suspensions, etc. With the basics out of the way, let’s get to the scoring.
MLS Scoring Details
- · Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day
- · We will keep track of overall, first/second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for
- · I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
- · As the MLS season is 34 matches, the overall standings will be based on each participant’s top 30 match guesses. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- · Predictions will be 'valid' if posted prior to the lineup being officially announced (1 hour before kickoff)
How Scoring is Determined
- · You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
- · You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- · You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
- · That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
At the end of each week, I will tally the scores and update the standings, to be posted with the next week's match thread.
I am posting two different sets of standings. The first is the monthly standings, with previous match stats. The second is the first half standings (with your worst two match predictions removed).
|User||Overall||Match 13 (Atlanta United)|
FIRST HALF STANDINGS (MATCHES 1 TO 17)
|Previous Rank||Current Ranking||Change in||User||Overall|
Match in Review (Atlanta United) and Preview (FC Dallas)
We are back for another round of Guess the Starting XI and Final Score. Those who were optimistic about the Atlanta United match got out to a strong start for June, as the Caps came away with the victory and SIX participants scored 20 points (out of a possible 22). Another impressive feat, EVERY participant correctly predicted the Starting XI. In the First Half standings, the Top 3 remained the same, with Arjon holding a 5 point lead over Jph003. rtomsheck rounds it out. Justcaps was the big mover last match, going from 10th to 6th. We only have 3 matches left before the First Half title is awarded. Should be a great race.
Although everyone was able to correctly predict the Starting XI last match, this match could be more difficult. While away with Costa Rica, BOTH Christian Bolanos and Kendall Waston picked up injuries. They are, most likely ruled out this week. However, Bernie Ibini has been practicing with the squad over the last two weeks, so we might see him make his first appearance. I have the tentative injured list below, but stay tuned as I will update it as the match nears.
With all the injuries, the lineup is very unpredictable. Will we see Cole Seiler get an opportunity alongside Tim Parker or does Andrew Jacobson come back? If Jacobson plays centerback this match, how does that impact the formation? With Mezquida out, do we finally get to see what Bustos can do? He has looked great with WFC 2 and we need to see if he can orchestrate the offense.
Finally, with all the injuries, do the Vancouver Whitecaps have a shot against the high-powered FC Dallas? Dallas will play tonight in the US Open Cup, but expect a second-tier lineup. Thus, their starters should be ready to go Saturday. It will be a tough one. Can the Caps come away with a victory?
Bonus Post-Match Scoring
KNOWN OUT (Will be updated as information becomes available)
Injury: Brett Levis, David Edgar, Yordy Reyna, Erik Hurtado, Christian Dean, Bernie Ibini, Christian Bolanos, Kendall Waston, Nicolas Mezquida
Suspension: Sheanon Williams (suspended by league pending domestic incident investigation)