Welcome back for another season of our contest "Guess the Starting XI and Final Score". As always, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. Thanks as well to Arjon for the suggested changes to this year’s contest (so, if you don’t like it, blame Arjon!). Now, to summarize everything.
- Contest will consist of the CONCACAF Champions League matches against RB NY and Tigres UANL. If the Whitecaps advance, the final matches will also be included.
- Contest will consist of the 2 to 4 (hopefully 4) Canadian Championship (Voyageurs Cup) matches.
- We will keep track of only ONE ranking/standings for this contest, as there will, probably, be a maximum of 8 matches.
- If there are at least 8 matches, each contestants lowest match score will be excluded, meaning the Final Standings will consist of each contestant's top 7 match predictions. If fewer than 8 matches, all scores will, probably, be included.
How Scoring is Determined
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
- That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
Additional May Scoring (Goal Scorer)
- You can predict one goal scorer for the Vancouver Whitecaps (if you post multiple scorers, I will take the first one you write as your prediction).
- If you correctly predict the goal scorer, you get 3 additional points. If you incorrectly predict the goal scorer, you lose 1 point.
- You can a) choose to predict a goal scorer, b) predict no Whitecaps player will score, or c) elect to not make any prediction.
- If you do not make a scorer prediction you will not lose any points
- At the end of each week, I will tally the scores and update the standings, to be posted with the next week's match thread.
Standings (All Games)
|Previous Rank||Current Ranking||Change in||Participant||Overall||Tigres UANL|
Match Review (Tigres UANL) and Match Preview (Montreal Impact)
We won't spend too much time recapping the last Champions League match. However, I will remind everyone that this competition is separate from the MLS competition. We will continue to have the opportunity to gain points from predicting a goal scorer for the May competition, but remember that it will not be included for the Competition long portion of the contest (if that makes any sense). Having said that, I doubt too many people will be making scorer predictions this match ;).
Tanzaniamagic is leading the Non-MLS competition, however, they have not made any predictions of late in the MLS competition, so this might be an opportunity for some of the participants just below to move up in the standings. The Montreal match may be difficult to predict. The positive is that it is a home match, so the Vancouver Whitecaps should be able to pull in some of the ThunderCaps players.
A few notes to mention. First, Matias Laba picked up his 5th yellow of the MLS season on Saturday, so he will miss the upcoming MLS match. As a result, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start in this match. Second, the competition rules require that 3 Canadians start each match. That shouldn't be a problem for the Whitecaps. It will be interesting though how Canadian Carl Robinson goes. Traditionally he has started a lot of Canadians as he has stated 'It is their competition'. However, the Caps are at home and want to get a bit of a lead heading to Montreal. Additionally, when the semi-finals and finals come about Carl has started more veterans. Even the keeper position will be hard to predict. Does Ousted start? Traditionally he has not in the early rounds of the Cup. That would suggest Tornaghi, but as we saw earlier this year, Robbo is happy to play Ritchie ahead of Tornaghi. Should be a fun one to predict.
KNOWN OUT (Will be updated as information becomes available)
Injury: Brett Levis, David Edgar, Yordy Reyna, Erik Hurtado