Welcome back for another season of our contest "Guess the Starting XI and Final Score". As always, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. Like last season, we will keep the non-MLS and MLS standings separate. We will also do a first half, second half, and overall standings. Finally, I will have various monthly contests where we add in an ‘extra’ thing to predict, like goal scorers, cards, suspensions, etc. With the basics out of the way, let’s get to the scoring.
MLS Scoring Details
· Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day
· We will keep track of overall, first/second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for
· I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
· As the MLS season is 34 matches, the overall standings will be based on each participant’s top 30 match guesses. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
· Predictions will be 'valid' if posted prior to the lineup being officially announced (1 hour before kickoff)
How Scoring is Determined
· You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
· You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
· You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
· That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
At the end of each week, I will tally the scores and update the standings, to be posted with the next week's match thread.
I am posting TWO different sets of standings. The first is the first half standings. The second is removing each participants four worst weeks
FIRST HALF STANDINGS (MATCHES 1 TO 17)
|Previous Rank||Current Ranking||Change in||User||Overall||Match 6 Points|
It is amazing what happens to lineup predictions when we don't have to predict multiple matches in a week! Sure enough, having no Champions League resulted in everyone doing well in their predictions. The lowest prediction was 9, while Olikchivas scored a perfect 11/11. That means they also picked up the 3 bonus points! Extending their lead at the top, just like last season, is Arjon, who correctly predicted the winner (Whitecaps) and score (2-1). Jph003 opened up a 6 point lead over 3rd place mattock, with a correct winner prediction. Not a lot of movement lower down the standings, although, we did see a 3-place jump from AtlantisB, GreyHouseEffect, and GTCrane.
Like in the overall standings, Arjon is leading the April standings. However, close on their tail is WestCoastCule. justcaps made a big jump, up 7 places, while GTCrane also moved up 6 positions.
This weekend, the Vancouver Whitecaps will play in Portland. The game should be a challenging one, with the Timbers being the best offensive squad thus far. However, it is rumored that Adi might be absent, thanks to a suspension. If that happens, it could aid the Caps in coming away with points.
The Whitecaps lineup should look similar to last week. With a full week's rest, short travel, and no changes to the injury situation, could we see the exact same lineup or do we see a few minor tweaks? Maybe at the DM position? I think the participants who get the most points this week will do so by correctly predicting the score as lineups should be strong again.
KNOWN OUT (Will be updated as information becomes available)