Welcome back for another season of our contest "Guess the Starting XI and Final Score". As always, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. Like last season, we will keep the non-MLS and MLS standings separate. We will also do a first half, second half, and overall standings. Finally, I will have various monthly contests where we add in an ‘extra’ thing to predict, like goal scorers, cards, suspensions, etc. With the basics out of the way, let’s get to the scoring.
MLS Scoring Details
· Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day
· We will keep track of overall, first/second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for
· I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
· As the MLS season is 34 matches, the overall standings will be based on each participant’s top 30 match guesses. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
· Predictions will be 'valid' if posted prior to the lineup being officially announced (1 hour before kickoff)
How Scoring is Determined
· You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
· You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
· You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
· That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
At the end of each week, I will tally the scores and update the standings, to be posted with the next week's match thread.
I am posting TWO different sets of standings. The first is the first half standings. The second is removing each participants four worst weeks
FIRST HALF STANDINGS (MATCHES 1 TO 17)
|Previous Rank||Current Ranking||Change in||User||Overall||Match 5 Points|
|Current||User||Overall||Real Salt Lake||Tigres||LA Galaxy|
Another match and another TWO first-time guessers. Welcome to jacinto and ArrSea. Both scored a respectable '8' for lineup prediction. Speaking of lineup predictions, Carl Robinson threw everyone for a loop and ran with a 3-5-2. This meant that all the decisions people were making on defense were moot as they ALL started. It also meant that everyone was pretty average (around 8) for predictions. What was key in this match was predicting a Salt Lake victory! The top 4 are slightly separated from the pack, thanks to being the only 4 to pick RSL victory.
On Friday night, the Caps play their Cascadia rivals. While the striker/forward stable is a bit bare, Carl Robinson will have his full lineup, so I would expect the best possible lineup against their foe. The real question is who is in that best lineup? Techera's run of form puts him in the equation. Of course there is Davies to consider. Tchani was not the best against RSL. Does he start or do we see Jacobson (or someone else)?
Two final notes. First, since there are six matches (including Tigres) in April, I will keep an April standings too. Second, I am thinking of 'testing' another prediction category in May. I was hoping to get some suggestions/feedback. I will post my suggestion below, but feel free to a) comment on mine or b) suggestion your own.
KNOWN OUT (Will be updated as information becomes available)