Welcome back for another season of our contest "Guess the Starting XI and Final Score". As always, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. Like last season, we will keep the non-MLS and MLS standings separate. We will also do a first half, second half, and overall standings. Finally, I will have various monthly contests where we add in an ‘extra’ thing to predict, like goal scorers, cards, suspensions, etc. With the basics out of the way, let’s get to the scoring.
· Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day
· We will keep track of overall, first/second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for
· As the MLS season is 34 matches, the overall standings will be based on each participant’s top 30 match guesses. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
· Predictions will be 'valid' if posted prior to the lineup being officially announced (1 hour before kickoff)
· You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly predicting 10 starters. Receive 3 bonus points for correctly predicting 11 starters.
· You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
· You receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team’s final score. Receive 1 bonus point for correctly guessing both teams final score (for a total of 3).
· That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
· I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
At the end of each week, I will tally the scores and update the standings, to be posted with the next week's match thread.
I am posting TWO different sets of standings. The first is the first half standings. The second is removing each participants four worst weeks
FIRST HALF STANDINGS (MATCHES 1 TO 17)
|Current Ranking||User||Overall||Match 1 Points|
Well....how about that! Everyone was so positive going into the Philadelphia match. Why shouldn't they? Whitecaps looked good on Thursday, against New York, were playing at home, and against a poor team. Of the 27 predictions, 24 selected Vancouver Whitecaps, while only 2 (olikchivas and Westsider13) predicted a draw. It was good news for them, as they boosted their lineup scores of 8. Carrying over from the NON-MLS contest, MarcoD77 kept up the good lineup predictions, with another perfect prediction. Joining MarcoD77 was mattock, chuckbiscuits, The Squirrel, and Jph003. Congrats!
The Whitecaps will now travel to me (San Jose) to play their next match. Kendall Waston has served his suspension, and will be available for selection. Mezquida appeared as a substitute in the past match, so he seems good to go. Unclear about Bolanos, although I would not expect him to start.
A few things to keep in mind for this match. First, it is an away match. While not a powerhouse of late, San Jose did shutout Montreal last weekend. Second, the Caps will travel to Monterrey after the match, to take on Tigres in CCL on Tuesday evening. The team will then travel back to Vancouver to face Toronto next Saturday. Translation, 3 matches in 7 days, with a long trip to Mexico in-between. It is important that the Caps do well in Mexico to make the return match worthwhile. If they get blown out then the second leg will be moot. Does that result in a weaker lineup against San Jose? That's the decision you have to make.
As usual, I will update injury (and suspension) situation below.