Welcome back for another season of our contest "Guess the Starting XI and Final Score". As always, thanks to former regular Spencer for starting this several years ago. Thanks as well to Arjon for the suggested changes to this year’s contest (so, if you don’t like it, blame Arjon! ). Now, to summarize everything.
· Contest will consist of the CONCACAF Champions League matches against RB NY and Tigres UANL. If the Whitecaps advance, the final matches will also be included.
· Contest will consist of the 2 to 4 (hopefully 4) Canadian Championship (Voyageurs Cup) matches.
· We will keep track of only ONE ranking/standings for this contest, as there will, probably, be a maximum of 8 matches.
· If there are at least 8 matches, each contestants lowest match score will be excluded, meaning the Final Standings will consist of each contestant's top 7 match predictions. If fewer than 8 matches, all scores will, probably, be included.
How to Score Points
· Predictions will be 'valid' if posted prior to the lineup being officially announced (1 hour before kickoff).
· Participants will receive 1 point for every player correctly guessed to be in the Starting XI
· You will receive ONE bonus point if you correctly predict 10.
· You will receive THREE bonus points if you correctly predict 11.
· Participants will receive 5 points for correctly guessing the winner (or draw) of the match
· Participants will receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team's final score. ONE bonus point for correctly guessing both final scores correctly (for a total of 3).
· That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
Standings (All Games)
|Previous Rank||Current Ranking||Change in||User||Overall||Match 2 Points|
Match Review (New York Red Bulls and Preview (Tigres UANL)
MarcoD77 had a great lineup prediction again. Is it just luck or should you be checking their lineup and comparing it to yours? Not to be outdone, Tanzaniamagic went 10/11 again, earning the bonus point. What was key though was correctly predicting the Caps victory. By doing so, Tanzaniamagic moved ahead of MarcoD77 into first place. Can they keep that position?
As is usually the case, when the Whitecaps win, scores are higher (home team advantage). 17/25 predictions had the Whitecaps and thus earned the 5 points. However, only 3 (justcaps, rtomsheck, and AtlantisB) correctly predicted the 2-0 score line. Three participants moved up 9 spots in the standings, thanks to strong predictions: Wardy1700, CascadiaCaps, and mattock (+9). Who makes the big move this match?
The Vancouver Whitecaps face a stiff challenge on Tuesday evening. They come off a tough defeat to the San Jose Earthquakes Saturday evening. Carl Robinson fielded a bit of a 'b-team' for that one, so we should expect to see a strong lineup against Tigres UANL. Speaking of Tigres, they currently sit 12th (out of 18) in Liga MX. So, they are not one of the better teams this season, but that could mean that they only have Champions League to play for and the Caps could face a strong squad.
Christian Bolanos saw his first action this season on Saturday evening, so we might see him again on Tuesday. The Caps have plenty of players with experience playing in big games in hostile confines, so they should not be too nervous. The key to a win is whether they have the talent to compete. I say they have similar top-level talent, but poorer depth. That is where the Whitecaps could lose this one. A last note, Rosales is tournament-tied to Dallas, so he is unavailable. Otherwise, everyone else is good to go.
It is time to make your predictions!
KNOWN OUT (Will be updated as information becomes available)
Suspension: Russell Teibert (yellow card accumulation)
Competition Tied: Mauro Rosales (Dallas)