Welcome back for another season of our new contest "Guess the Starting XI and Final Score". We had a fantastic first 'season', after former regular Spencer began the contest a few years ago. Thanks to him for getting the idea going. For those new to our contest, I will outline the 'rules' shortly, but I want to start with some of the feedback that I received last season that I would like to implement.
There were three suggestions made. I would like to implement all three, but I think we will hold off on the last one as I am not 100% sure how to properly add it and I don't want to change to much at once.
Arjon noted that many of the lineups predictions were the same and so it made it that predicting the winner and final score was important. While I want the winner to be important, I felt the final score was a bit of a crap-shoot, hence why I did not make it worth many points. It was suggested that we tweak it to add in 'bonus' points for the lineup and to split the 'guess the score' points up. I like both of those, so, we will change it so that if you guess 10 of the Starting XI correctly, you get a bonus point. If you guess all 11, then you get three bonus points (don't worry, I will outline all of this below). For guess the final score, instead of all or nothing, you will get one point for guessing each team's correct score and a bonus point if you get both right. So, if you predicted Whitecaps 2, Team X 1 and Team X gets 1, but Whitecaps get 3, you still get one point for correctly guessing Team X's final score. Hopefully that makes sense. Basically, it just means we are not going all-or-nothing. Instead, we are going "All or Nothing or 1".
Like last season, we will have a NON-MLS contest consisting of CONCACAF and Canadian Championship. Unfortunately, this might only be 4 matches, so depending on the number of matches, we might include all your scores or remove your lowest. Regardless, at the end, I will post both so you can decide whether you think you are the true winner (if you feel the way of scoring was unfair :P).
We will also have a MLS contest. We will continue with a First-Half Winner, Second-Half Winner, and Overall. However, we will also do monthly winner so that those that play for short periods can still win. I was going to do, maybe quarters (so that each 'contest' had the same number of matches), but I think Monthly might be interesting too as there will be variability in matches included.
Finally, later this season, I will add into a few matches some different ideas for including predicting goal-scorers, so that we can see if there is a method that people like that we can implement for next season.
Okay, so, after all that rambling, it is time to get this going. Time to outline the rules.
- Contest will consist of the 2 CONCACAF Champions League matches against RB NY. If the Whitecaps advance, the semi-final (and then final) matches will also be included.
- Contest will consist of the 2 to 4 (hopefully 4) Canadian Championship (Voyageurs Cup) matches.
- We will keep track of only ONE ranking/standings for this contest, as there will, probably, be a maximum of 8 matches.
- If there are at least 8 matches, each contestants lowest match score will be excluded, meaning the Final Standings will consist of each contestant's top 7 match predictions. If fewer than 8 matches, all scores will, probably, be included.
- Predictions will be 'valid' if posted prior to the lineup being officially announced (1 hour before kickoff).
- Participants will receive 1 point for every player correctly guessed to be in the Starting XI
- You will receive ONE bonus point if you correctly predict 10.
- You will receive THREE bonus points if you correctly predict 11.
- Participants will receive 5 points for correctly guessing the winner (or draw) of the match
- Participants will receive 1 point for correctly guessing each team's final score. ONE bonus point for correctly guessing both final scores correctly (for a total of 3).
- That means, if you correctly predict the Starting XI, Final Score, and Winner, you can earn 22 points!
Standings (All Games)