Buiding off of the column written by one of our previous regulars, Spencer, I have decided to continue with a match thread for guessing the Starting XI and Final Score for each Vancouver Whitecaps match. However, the one change I will make is that we will keep track of scores throughout the season with an overall winner, and bragging rights, at the end.
Now for some details on how this will run.
- Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day
- We will keep track of overall, first/second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for
- As the MLS season is 34 matches, the overall standings will be based on each participant’s top 30 match guesses. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- Predictions will be 'valid' if posted at least 2 hours before kickoff.
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- And, as a bonus, you receive 3 points if you correctly guess the final score. While this is the most challenging, I also think that it is the most 'luck based', so I did not want to make it worth too many points.
- I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
At the end of each week, I will tally the scores and update the standings, to be posted with the next week's match thread.
I am posting TWO different sets of standings. The first is the second half standings. The second is removing each participants four worst weeks
SECOND HALF STANDINGS (MATCHES 18 TO 34)
|Current Rank||User||Change in||Overall||Match 31 Points|
OVERALL STANDINGS (AKA, BEST 27 MATCHES)
With just three matches remaining, we are closing in on the end of the season. Thanks to a correct victor prediction, AtlantisB opened up a bigger lead over Arjon in the 2nd Half and Overall Standings. SoccerMum forgot to input a lineup and score last round (oops). While it did not cost them any positions in the standings, it did make overtaking Edmondk for 3rd a lot more complicated, and allowed JustoMLS to catch-up. Should be a fun end to the season!
The Vancouver Whitecaps host the Seattle Sounders Sunday evening in another Cascadia tilt. While the Caps were not victorious two weeks ago, in Seattle, this week might be a different story. The team is coming off a Wednesday victory in Champions League, albeit against a very weak opponent, and are playing at home. Moreover, Dempsey has been ruled out for the season and Lodeiro will miss the match for yellow card accumulation (yes, already). Without two of Seattle's top offensive weapons, coupled with a Cascadia home match that could play an important role in determining this year's Cup champion, a win would be big.
Speaking of players out for Sunday's match, Waston will be out due to his red card against Colorado last weekend. Otherwise, the team should be sporting a full lineup (less the regular injuries). Let's see who you pick for your lineup.