Buiding off of the column written by one of our previous regulars, Spencer, I have decided to continue with a match thread for guessing the Starting XI and Final Score for each Vancouver Whitecaps match. However, the one change I will make is that we will keep track of scores throughout the season with an overall winner, and bragging rights, at the end.
Now for some details on how this will run.
- Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day
- We will keep track of overall, first/second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for
- As the MLS season is 34 matches, the overall standings will be based on each participant’s top 30 match guesses. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- Predictions will be 'valid' if posted at least 2 hours before kickoff.
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- And, as a bonus, you receive 3 points if you correctly guess the final score. While this is the most challenging, I also think that it is the most 'luck based', so I did not want to make it worth too many points.
- I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
At the end of each week, I will tally the scores and update the standings, to be posted with the next week's match thread.
I am posting TWO different sets of standings. The first is the second half standings. The second is removing each participants four worst weeks
SECOND HALF STANDINGS (MATCHES 18 TO 34)
|Current Rank||User||Change in||Overall||Match 30 Points|
OVERALL STANDINGS (AKA, BEST 26 MATCHES)
Match in Review (Seattle Sounders) and Preview (Colorado Rapids)
There are just a few matches left, so it is crunch time! Many were optimistic last week that the Vancouver Whitecaps would pull out a win (or at least a draw) against Seattle, but sadly that did not happen, so there was not a lot of movement in the standings. One important move though came from Arjon, who was the only person to predict a Seattle victory. That closed the gap between Arjon and AtlantisB in the 2nd Half and Overall Standings. Arjon has been at or near the top all season and they could win all three standings (1st, 2nd, & Overall). Stay tuned.
While the fight for the top remains strong, there is a battle in the middle of the standings as well. Some regulars in the 1st half have disappeared in the second half allowing some of those late-starters to quickly rise the ranks. Should be a great end to the season.
On to the Colorado match though. The Caps have everything and nothing to play for at the same time. With the playoffs all but mathematically out of reach, the Whitecaps players are fighting for contracts; whether with the Caps or elsewhere. As the Caps are not mathematically eliminated, I expect Robbo to churn out the same, boring, lineup. Maybe I am wrong though. Everything is healthy, so it is anyone's guess who gets into the match.