Buiding off of the column written by one of our previous regulars, Spencer, I have decided to continue with a match thread for guessing the Starting XI and Final Score for each Vancouver Whitecaps match. However, the one change I will make is that we will keep track of scores throughout the season with an overall winner, and bragging rights, at the end.
Now for some details on how this will run.
- Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day
- We will keep track of overall, first/second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for
- As the MLS season is 34 matches, the overall standings will be based on each participant’s top 30 match guesses. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- Predictions will be 'valid' if posted at least 2 hours before kickoff.
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- And, as a bonus, you receive 3 points if you correctly guess the final score. While this is the most challenging, I also think that it is the most 'luck based', so I did not want to make it worth too many points.
- I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
At the end of each week, I will tally the scores and update the standings, to be posted with the next week's match thread.
I am posting TWO different sets of standings. The first is the second half standings. The second is removing each participants four worst weeks
SECOND HALF STANDINGS (MATCHES 18 TO 34)
|Current Rank||User||Change in||Overall||Match 29 Points|
OVERALL STANDINGS (AKA, BEST 25 MATCHES)
Match in Review (Columbus Crew) and Preview (Seattle Sounders)
Whatever the outcome for the Columbus Crew match, it was going to have an impact on our overall standings, as the top 3 at the time (AtlantisB, Arjon, and Soccer Mum) had different predicted outcomes. Luckily for me, the Caps were victorious and I extended my lead at the top of the standings to a whopping 20 points (WOO HOO!). With 4 matches to go, like the Whitecaps playoff chances, the outcome of our Second-Half Standings might already be in the bag.
The strong second half has helped AtlantisB take an 11-point lead in the overall standings, but with a few correct winner predictions, that might change. Should be fun over the last few weeks. Special shout-out to Soccer Mum and Summersgill23 as they made the biggest moves of the week.
This weekend the Caps play a crucial match against rivals Seattle Sounders. Win and the Whitecaps inch closer to a playoff position (and to the Cascadia Cup!). With Portland in Costa Rica right now and then a trip to El Salvador later this month, it is feasible that Vancouver could squeak into the playoffs. Obviously, expect the strongest lineup possible. Does the strongest Whitecaps lineup include Pedro Morales? Fans would say no I suspect, but Carl Robinson might disagree. What about Techera and/or Mezquida? Techera was held out of the CCL match on Tuesday while Mezquida played 60 minutes. Could we see either or both? Hurtado is on a bit of a hot streak (for him anyway) and the other options at striker have been abysmal. Does that mean Hurtado starts up-top or do we see Barnes and/or Kudo slot in? I know what I WANT, but I am confident that is NOT what we will see.
Time to get your picks in. Don't forget, match is at 1pm on Saturday, so no delay.