Buiding off of the column written by one of our previous regulars, Spencer, I have decided to continue with a match thread for guessing the Starting XI and Final Score for each Vancouver Whitecaps match. However, the one change I will make is that we will keep track of scores throughout the season with an overall winner, and bragging rights, at the end.
Now for some details on how this will run.
- Contest article will be posted 2-3 days prior to game day
- We will keep track of overall, first/second half, and monthly winners so that late joiners will have something to play for
- As the MLS season is 34 matches, the overall standings will be based on each participant’s top 30 match guesses. This will allow everyone a few misses or bad guesses throughout the season.
- Predictions will be 'valid' if posted at least 2 hours before kickoff.
- You receive 1 point for every player you correctly guess to be in the Starting XI.
- You get 5 points for correctly guessing Win/Lose/Draw.
- And, as a bonus, you receive 3 points if you correctly guess the final score. While this is the most challenging, I also think that it is the most 'luck based', so I did not want to make it worth too many points.
- I will have a separate ‘contest’ for Voyageurs and Champions League.
At the end of each week, I will tally the scores and update the standings, to be posted with the next week's match thread.
I am posting TWO different sets of standings. The first is the second half standings. The second is removing each participants four worst weeks
SECOND HALF STANDINGS (MATCHES 18 TO 34)
|Previous Rank||Current Rank||User||Change in||Overall||Match 32 Points|
OVERALL STANDINGS (AKA, BEST 28 MATCHES)
Match in Review (Seattle Sounders) and Preview (San Jose Earthquake)
We were an optimistic bunch last match, believing the Whitecaps could pull it out against the Sounders. Oops! Edmondk took advantage of our optimism though as they were the only ones to correctly predict a Seattle victory, and picked up the extra 5 points. It will probably not be enough though as Arjon has a 10 point lead over Edmondk. However, it did open up a similar gap between Edmondk and Soccer Mum (13 points). It looks like the top will probably stay the way they are, which is a shame, but it should still be a good final few games. Personally, I will try to get a score high enough that it makes it difficult for me to beat next year!
On Sunday, the Caps visit my city, San Jose, to play the Earthquake. With no playoffs for either team do the Caps play a young team or mix it up? I think that, despite the opportunity to play a different lineup, the Caps will 'play it safe'. Shame. Don't forget, no Morales due to suspension....not that it is a bad thing!
Get your predictions in!