Carl Robinson has committed to youth in his time with the Vancouver Whitecaps, something Major League Soccer has definitely noticed. Nine members of the Vancouver Whitecaps were named to the preliminary list of the annual top 24 under 24 rankings, and those nine players represent the highest total for any team in the league.
19 year olds Deybi Flores and Kianz Froese were named, as were 20 year olds Kekuta Manneh and Sam Adekugbe.
22 year old Canadian Russell Teibert (is he really that young?) is next, followed by Octavio Rivero, Matias Laba, Nicolas Mezquida and Cristian Techera, all 23 years of age.
According to MLSSoccer.com, 75 players league wide made the preliminary list, and you can find that here.
The players are being judged on a few factors.
- Technical (first touch, dribbling, shooting, heading, etc.)
- Soccer IQ (positioning, reading game, situational understanding, tactical awareness, etc.)
- Physical Attributes (balance, agility, speed, endurance, strength, vertical leap, etc.)
- Personality (attitude, marketability, media savviness, charisma, intangibles, etc.)
- Potential (improvability, ceiling, national team potential, potential future transfer value, etc.)
The final cut will be released on September 22nd.