clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

USL Match Report: WFC2 1- 1 TFC2

New, comments

Missed opportunities haunt WFC2, but fans go home happy after an entertaining inaugural home match at Thunderbird Stadium.

Caleb Clarke (#34) and his teammates celebrate Clarke's 33rd minute goal against TFC2 this afternoon.
Caleb Clarke (#34) and his teammates celebrate Clarke's 33rd minute goal against TFC2 this afternoon.

Vancouver, BC - on a beautiful, sunny afternoon the Vancouver Whitecaps FC2 played to an entertaining 1-1 draw against  Toronto FC 2 in front of a sell out crowd of 3,208 at UBC's Thunderbird Stadium.

Buoyed by the energy of their home opener, WFC2 started the match quickly and Victor Blasco tested Reds 'keeper Quillan Roberts in just the third minute with a high, rising shot.

The chances came in quick succession for the Thundercaps, with Ben McKendry being stopped stone cold by Roberts in the 12th minute, and then Blasco again was denied on the volley three minutes later.

Striker Caleb Clarke also had a fantastic chance to get Vancouver on the board in the twenty-first minute when he made a brilliant move to get inside of his marker, but his shot went right to the waiting hands of Roberts.

Clarke was not to be denied on the afternoon, and put his name on the score sheet in the thirty-third minute when he used his speed to get behind a flat-footed TFC2 backline.  Clarke cleverly chipped the ball over the diving Roberts to score the first ever WFC2 goal at Thunderbird Stadium.

Both sides started the second half with plenty of energy, and Vancouver's Brett Levis almost increased the Caps' lead in the fifty first minute after he beat Roberts, but not the post of the TFC2 goal.

Vancouver's missed opportunities came back to haunt them in the fifty-seventh minute when Raheem Edwards crossed the ball in the WFC2 area and Jay Edwards capitalized on the cross to draw  the visitors level.

With twenty minutes remaining the Thundercaps were dealt a blow when Blasco was sent off for a second yellow card.  Energized by the goal and the sending off Toronto pushed for a winning goal.  Marco Nunes squandered a golden opportunity in the seventy-third minute when he had a clear shot on Marco Carducci's goal, but put his shot well over the cross bar.

With Vancouver  seemingly at their mercy a second TFC2 goal looked almost inevitable.  The Reds were also reduced to ten men when  Mark Anthony Kaye was sent off in the seventy-seventh minute for his second yellow card.

Both sides looked for a winning goal in the last ten minutes of the match, but neither side was able to break the deadlock and the inaugural WFC2 home match finished 1-1.


Attendance: 3,208
Man of the Match: Caleb Clarke

Scoring Summary:
33' - WFC2 - Caleb Clarke (Tyler Rosenlund)
57' - TFC II - Jay Chapman (Raheem Edwards)

Match Stats:
Shots: WFC2 12 - TFC II 20
Saves: WFC2 4 - TFC II 6
Corners: WFC2 5 - TFC II 6
Fouls: WFC2 13 - TFC II 22
Offsides: WFC2 1 - TFC II 1

32' - TFC II - Mark Anthony Kaye
55' - WFC2 - Ben McKendry
63' - TFC II - Mo Babouli
64' - WFC2 - Victor Blasco
68' - WFC2 - Victor Blasco
77' - TFC II - Mark Anthony Kaye

68' - WFC2 - Victor Blasco
77' - TFC II - Mark Anthony Kaye

Whitecaps FC 2:
24.Marco Carducci; 41.Jackson Farmer, 26.Tim Parker, 22.Christian Dean, 42.Jordan Haynes; 45.Tyler Rosenlund, 30.Ben McKendry (55.Chris Serban 90'); 50.Sahil Sandhu (37.Mitch Piraux 78'), 46.Brett Levis (51.Billy Schuler 71'), 48.Victor Blasco; 34.Caleb Clarke (49.Mackenzie Pridham 65')

39.Spencer Richey, 54.Craig Nitti, 47.Jovan Blagojevic

Toronto FC II:
40.Quillan Roberts; 32.Wesley Charpie, 37.Adam Bouchard, 46.Daniel Fabrizi (33.Skylar Thomas 62'), 44.Mark Anthony Kaye; 49.Martin Davis (39.Marco Nunes 46'), 20.Chris Mannella (34.Manny Aparicio 83'), 14.Jay Chapman, 48.Raheem Edwards; 41.Mo Babouli, 22.Jordan Hamilton (35.Edwin Rivas 66')

25.Alex Bono, 42.Massimo Mirabelli, 50.Tarik Robertson